If you're aged 16 to 24 years old and claiming Universal Credit, you might be able to get a six month job with a local employer through the Kickstart Scheme.
Kickstart jobs are funded by the government to offer exciting opportunities for young people to gain valuable work experience.
Wigan Council acts as a gateway for employers - we help local companies set up the scheme, recruit to the vacancies and arrange training for applicants.
Who are Kickstart jobs for?
- 16 to 24 years old
- Claiming Universal Credit
- At risk of long-term unemployment.
In order to maximise the local benefit of the scheme, Wigan Council are only working with employers that are based in the borough, who in most instances will recruit a local young person.
Kickstart is a great opportunity. Not only does it give you access to a six-month paid job, you will also get valuable experience to build up your CV, extra support to boost your future job prospects and help start your career.
How can you apply for a Kickstart job?
- Message your Work Coach via your Universal Credit journal or let them know at your next appointment that you are interested in Kickstart roles
- They will take you through vacancies to match your career goals
- They will refer you to suitable opportunities
- You follow up the referral by emailing your CV directly to the employer
- Employer then arranges interview.
The great thing about Kickstart is the employer can only receive a maximum of 15 applications so there is much less competition for jobs, and a greater chance of you being offered one.
What happens once you are in employment?
- You and your employer will agree your hours and start working together
- You will attend at least 2.5 hours of internal/external training a week to support future job prospects
- At the end of the scheme your employer may keep you in the job (or even offer you an apprenticeship) or provide you with a reference and more experience to put on your CV.
So far we have seen over 80% of our young people being offered work after their 6 month Kickstart placement with a local company.
Search Kickstart vacancies
Remember, to apply for a Kickstart role you will need to message your Work Coach via your Universal Credit journal or let them know at your next appointment.