Top tips on getting your beach body
Slimming World member - the results
Look great on the beach this summer - one Slimming World member did and her results are fantastic!
Try these top tips to help you get the beach body you deserve
- Start running, jogging, walking uphill, biking, and/or swimming on a regular basis. These and other cardio-intensive exercises will help you burn calories, speed up your metabolism, and improve your cardiovascular health.
- Do 30 minutes of cardio at least 3-5 times a week in line with the NICE guidelines (or 150 minutes per week).
- If you are a gym member, try the cross trainer, stationary bike, and other cardio equipment your gym has available.
Try different workouts to find the right one for you
Not everybody loves to run. Try out different exercises and commit to the one you enjoy the most. This way, you'll be more likely to stick with it.
- If you are easily bored with cardio, try switching up your workout. Instead of running every day, alternate running and biking every other day.
- Alternate within a single workout. For example, at the gym you can run on the treadmill for 10 minutes, bike for ten minutes, then use the cross trainer for ten minutes. This will make your 30 minute workout feel a lot shorter.
- Join a class. Most gyms offer Spinning, Les Mills, Zumba, and more. Working out with a group will push you harder than you push yourself, especially if you are new to exercising.
Make simple lifestyle changes
- Walk to your destination instead of driving. If you drive somewhere, park further away than you normally do.
- Do chores around the house - these burn more calories than you think!
- If you work at a desk, make sure you are standing up and walking around every couple of hours. Use your break time to go for a brisk walk outside.
Try Yoga and/or Pilates
- Both of these exercises provide overall body toning and strengthening, and are ideal for women who want long, lean muscles and who are afraid of gaining "muscle mass".
Target your core
The following exercise will have you feeling the burn:
- Crunches - try them with your legs held vertically in the air. To avoid hurting your back, try doing crunches on an exercise ball.
- Leg lifts (external link)
- Plank - hold a plank for 30 seconds to a minute. Remember to keep your body in a straight line, and avoid letting your hips sag.
Target your legs
Try the following exercises:
Target your arms
- Do push-ups. If you cannot do a push-up, try doing the modified version keeping your knees on the ground or up against a wall.
- Use a chest or shoulder-press machine.
- Lift free weights. For bulky muscles, do few repetitions using heavier weights. For lean muscles without bulk, do more repetitions using a lighter weight.
- Enrol in a body toning/conditioning class. Most gyms also offer toning classes for particular body areas, like abs, or legs, bums and tums.
Posted on Friday 6th May 2016