Short breaks are designed to:
- Provide enjoyable experiences for children and young people with a disability which are away from their primary carer, enable them to have fun and allow them to make friends and develop skills.
- Give parents and families a necessary and valuable break from their caring responsibilities
Short breaks are available to children and young people with a high level of need and can last from just a few hours to a few days. They can take place during the day, evening, overnight or at the weekend. They can take place in:
- Child/young person’s own home
- Home of an approved carer
- A residential or community setting.
Getting a short break
Your child will need to meet certain criteria to qualify for a short break.
We have developed a range of support to meet the different levels of need for different children from low, medium or high.
Who can get help
To find out if you qualify please contact the children's team.