Transport and travel

For older people or those with a disability, there are a number of options that might help you get out and about.

You might be eligible for a bus or rail card:

Alternatively, you can make bus pass enquiries via:

Greater Manchester travel vouchers

Discounted travel vouchers are available to those who are not able to use ordinary buses due to serious mobility problems, or are registered blind. They can be used to pay for:

  • Taxis
  • Travel on door-to-door minibus services (Ring and Ride)
  • Cheap travel on buses and trains.

See  Transport for Greater Manchester (external link)

Motability scheme

The Motability scheme (external link) was established to provide disabled people with safe, reliable and affordable cars, powered wheelchairs or scooters.

Minibus and group transport

Ring and Ride (external link) is a door-to-door minibus service.

Blue Badge parking permit

The Blue Badge scheme allows people with disabilities to park legally, close to places they need to visit such as shops and public buildings.

Starting Point Plus

This is a free service to advise and support people aged 50 and over (or under 50 with a disability) and their carers. We provide information and advice about local services that help to promote independence, e.g. cleaning, shopping, meals, handymen, luncheon clubs, etc. 


Rate the information on this page

green smiley (good) orange smiley (average) red smiley (poor)

© Wigan Council