Get in touch with adult social care

We are the first point of contact for social care information and advice, and deal with all new requests for help which may need social work involvement (i.e. social care assessment).

We offer a wide range of information about services available to people, including support to help maintain independence and wellbeing. We also provide further social care involvement and intervention to those eligible for support, and for adults who may be at risk of harm. If you are already involved with social care and need to discuss your support plan, we can advise you appropriately.

If you, or someone you know, require help from adult social care you need to let us know.

You can contact us Monday to Friday, 8.45am to 8pm, and on Saturdays from 8.45am to 1pm.

How do we decide if you qualify for help?

We use the government’s guidelines to help us decide if you qualify for care services.

The advice and information we provide is entirely free of charge. However, if at a later date you go on to receive services following your contact with us, in some cases depending on your financial circumstances, there may be a charge for these. We will explain this to you before we provide any service.

What if I don't qualify for help?

We will offer you advice and some possible alternatives, or put you in touch with other organisations in the community who may be able to help.

Starting Point Plus is a free service provided by the council, offering information and advice about local services that help to promote independence, e.g. cleaning, shopping, meals, handymen, luncheon clubs, etc.

Can I get help outside normal office hours?

Yes. Outside normal office hours in emergency situations only (i.e. 8pm to 8.45am, Monday to Friday, after 1pm on Saturdays, and all day on Sundays and bank holidays), contact the emergency out of hours social work services on 01942 828777.


Rate the information on this page

green smiley (good) orange smiley (average) red smiley (poor)

© Wigan Council