Wigan Council work with Pause to support women who have experienced, or are at risk of, repeated pregnancies that result in children needing to be removed from their care.
If this is something you have experienced, we may be able to help you to pause and take control of your life.
We will work with you in a way that addresses everybody in your life, this may include fathers of your children, partners, family members and friends - as well as professionals in social care, housing, health and the justice system.
We will support you to find new ways to overcome the problems of the past, deal with any challenges you might be currently facing and build a better future.
- Visit the Pause website for more information, videos and examples of how the Pause programme looks in practice
- Take a look at the Pause leaflet.
Is it for me?
If you have had 2 or more children removed from your care, are still able to have children and are a resident in the borough of Wigan, then this may be something you want to consider.
How we help you
We know that a programme like Pause is most effective when you don’t have any children in your care and you’re in a position, sometimes for the first time, to focus on yourself and your own needs.
You will be supported by a Pause Practitioner who will spend time developing a strong and nurturing relationship with you for up to 18 months. It may be challenging at times, but we will help you to focus on your specific goals, helping you break destructive cycles and work towards a more positive future.
The programme fits around your strengths, talents and goals - it’s your life, so you decide what is important to you. Some of the things we could help you with include:
- Exploring the most effective forms of reversible contraception for you - we work with Spectrum Community Health to help you make informed choices
- Connecting you with others in your situation so you don’t feel alone
- Supporting you to feel more confident and happier
- Helping you cope with grief and loss
- Supporting you with housing, benefits or debts
- Helping you become healthier and fitter
- Improving your writing and maths or helping with other educational or work goals
- Help with drug and alcohol problems or other specialist services, like mental health
- Protecting you from any domestic violence
- Helping you build better relationships with partners, friends, family and children
- Supporting you to access opportunities you may not have experienced or thought about before.
How do I get in touch?
If you would like to know more about Pause you can:
One of our team will chat with you and find out whether this is the right place for you.
A poem by a women Pause has helped...
The laughter and smiles
The learning we do
Help to lose the anger
Even if for a moment or two
Go to places far and wide
Lots of fun with head held high
See one main person lots of times
Who helps our wings to soon fly
Walks and talks
Coffee and cake
They’ll actually take
No fear with these
They’re all nice women
Help you so far
Even when their workload’s brimming