On this page you will find the latest information on council services and facilities affected by the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, including:
- Changes to services and facilities
- When services and facilities are reopening
- Which services and facilities remain suspended.
Services / facilities affected by COVID-19
Search from the list below to find the information you need:
Children centres (Start Well)
Westfield, Westleigh, Platt Bridge, Atherton and Ince centres have cancelled all their sessions delivered across our communities. Parents who have booked on have been notified via text.
Digital resources promoting early learning, health and wellness are being shared with families and all centres are providing food parcels to vulnerable families.
If you require any support or advice, please contact the Health Visiting Duty Team on 01942 483689.
Dementia support - Later Life and Memory Service (LLAMS)
LLAMS are no longer accepting routine referrals for memory assessment and diagnosis. No routine face-to-face visits will take place.
LLAMS practitioners will continue to monitor and support existing patients who have been identified to have complex needs or risks.
Urgent LLAMS referrals will be triaged on the telephone by a practitioner and an appropriate plan arranged in discussion with LLAMS consultants and managers.
Where possible, LLAMS staff will be available to offer telephone advice and support for people with dementia and their families during this time:
- Call LLAMS staff for advice, Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm on 01942 481301
- For urgent issues (out of hours), patients and families can contact the Urgent Care Team on 01942 636395
- Telephone advice is also available from Dementia UK on 0800 888 6678.
Below you will find further help and resources to support you during this time:
Following governmental advice we have decided to temporarily close our Healthy Routes on the High Street shops in Wigan and Leigh until further notice.
The situation is constantly changing and whilst we are closed we will continue to offer telephone support as well as finding ways of supporting the most vulnerable people in our local communities.
Housing repairs - council homes
You can now book a non-emergency repair online. This means that you can book, amend and cancel a job online 24 hours, 7 days a week. You will be able to choose a convenient date and timeslot for your appointment.
In line with current medical advice, if you or anyone else in your home has been diagnosed with COVID-19 or are self-isolating, please do not book non-emergency repairs.
If you have booked a repairs appointment and subsequently anyone living in your home is diagnosed with COVID-19, or is required to self-isolate, please cancel your appointment. You can re-book an appointment again once 14 days has elapsed from diagnosis or the first day of self-isolating.
Self-isolating is not directly referring to the vulnerable groups e.g. pregnant females, over age 70, or those with other compromising illnesses, who are off work for their own safety. However, if you are in one of these groups and are self-isolating due to COVID-19 then the above applies to you as well. As a precautionary measure, staff visiting your property will seek further clarification from you prior to entering your property.
Life centres and libraries
From 12th April, Wigan and Leigh libraries and life centres and our community libraries (excluding Lamberhead, Aspull, Hope and Ince) will reopen to the public.
- Wigan and Leigh libraries and life centres: 10am - 2pm, Monday to Friday
- Community libraries (excluding Lamberhead, Aspull, Hope and Ince): 10am - 2pm, Monday to Wednesday, and 1pm-5pm, Thursday to Friday.
Be Well is taking a phased approach to reopening its leisure centres in line with government guidelines.
Changes have been made to the licensing service, and some of these may affect you and your business. These changes have been made to help minimise the risk and spread of the virus, and to keep our staff and our customers safe.
Contingency plans are in place to deal with any urgent applications and we will continually review this situation and re-open any suspended services as soon as we can.
Markets - outdoor and indoor
- Wigan’s outdoor markets are open for business. Ashton and Leigh outdoor markets remain closed while risk assessments are undertaken
- Wigan and Leigh indoor market halls are open for business, 8.30am-5pm, Monday to Saturday.
Museum of Wigan Life, Archives and The Fire Within
Due to recent government guidance and to keep our staff and visitors safe, we regret that The Museum of Wigan Life, including the local studies and archives facility and The Fire Within exhibition at The Galleries is temporarily closed. We hope to re-open in 2021 but please check the website for details before planning a visit.
In the meantime, do look out for our online talks and events which we will be sharing on social media and on our website.
The Archive office at Leigh library will remain closed to the public until the reopening of the new archives offer in the Town Hall in the New Year.
Parks, open spaces, playgrounds, outdoor gyms and golf courses
Following risk assessment reviews, the following has reopened with relevant COVID-19 safety protocols in place:
- All council-owned golf courses (plus Haigh Hall's 18-hole course and Pennington Gold Course), bowling greens, playing fields and tennis courts
- Council-owned car parks
- Council play facilities, outdoor gyms and skate parks with strict guidelines in place. Visitors will be asked to sanitise their hands before using the equipment
- Haigh Woodland Park - Children’s Woodland Adventure Play Park has reopened, Monday to Sunday, 10am - 6pm. Kitchen Courtyard has also reopened. Other playgrounds and the railway remain closed - find out more about Haigh Woodland Park (external link).
The following remains closed:
- Toilets at our parks and local nature reserves have remained closed, together with changing rooms and pavilions
- The bird hides both at Pennington Flash and the Three Sisters Recreation Area.
Visitors must ensure they follow the government guidelines on social distancing and social interaction. Greater Manchester Police will be carrying out patrols across our parks and green spaces and issuing fines for breaking government restrictions.
The maintenance of non-essential grass cutting in parks and open spaces, bowling greens, football pitches and roadside grass verges has resumed with a limited service.
Keep checking this page for updates.
We will be undertaking pest control appointments for ants, bedbugs, fleas, mice, rats, and wasps only.
For issues with other pest types, we will be happy to give advice where possible. You can email our admin team on firstname.lastname@example.org and we will, if necessary, arrange for an officer to visit at the earliest opportunity.
Contingency plans are in place to deal with any urgent appointments and we will continually review this situation and re-open any suspended service as soon as we can.
Registration services - weddings, births and deaths
Based on government advice we have made changes to the way we carry out a number of our services.
Requesting attendance of the Mayor
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, all Mayoral engagements are suspended until further notice.
Waste and recycling centres open for essential use only
Recycling Centres are now operating under summer opening hours, which are 8am to 5:45pm every day.
All other vehicles will require a permit before attending site.
No vehicle trailers of any type will be accepted.
If any households have had COVID-19 symptoms then the waste should be double bagged and left for 72 hours before being brought to site.
Welfare outreach surgeries
All welfare surgeries are currently closed to the public until further notice. You can still access support and information online by:
Young people groups
All council youth groups in Wigan Borough are currently closed.
It’s important that we do what we can to keep everyone safe but we’re looking forward to the time when our groups reopen and we can meet up again.
The groups closed include:
- All local area youth voice groups
- Wigan and Leigh Youth Cabinet
- Global Friends
- Million Voices children in care group
- Girls’ groups in Leigh and Ashton.