Benefit hardship payment

If you have applied for benefits and are waiting for your first payment you may be able to get an advance. This will have to be paid back. If you have no money because of a sanction, you may be able to claim a hardship payment from the Jobcentre. Hardship payments of Universal Credit need to be paid back, but hardship payments of JSA or ESA do not. You should get advice before accessing any of these.

Who can help?

Return to Money advice tool

© Wigan Council