Registration and Certificates

Marriages are no longer recorded in a marriage register at the end of a ceremony and legal certificates are not presented on the day.

Couples and their witnesses must sign a Marriage/Civil Partnership Schedule, or a Marriage Document if your ceremony takes place in a Church of England. You must then return these to the register office before you can obtain a legal certificate.

It’s important that you read all information recorded, including spellings, carefully before signing. Any requests to change or update information will be subject to a £90 charge. In some cases it will not be possible to change information recorded.

You will obtain a Marriage or Civil Partnership Schedule when you give notice at your local register office. If you are getting married in a Church of England, you will obtain the Marriage Document once your banns have been called.

On the day of your ceremony

For marriages taking place at a register office or approved venue, the Registrar will bring the Marriage or Civil Partnership Schedule to your ceremony and return it to the register office on your behalf.

For marriages taking place in a religious building, the Incumbent (Church of England), Authorised Person, Secretary of Synagogue or Society of Friends Registering Officer is responsible for returning the Marriage Schedule or Marriage Document to the register office within 21 days of the marriage.

However, with the couples agreement, this task may be delegated to the couple themselves or another member of the wedding party.

Marriage and Civil Partnership Registration

All marriages and civil partnerships must be registered at the register office for the district where the event takes place.

The Marriage/Civil Partnership Schedule or Marriage Document cannot be used in place of a legal certificate.

Issuing your marriage or civil partnerships certificate

When we receive your Marriage/Civil Partnership Schedule or Marriage Document we will complete the registration within 7 days and will post your certificates to you.

If your ceremony is at a Council or approved venue the £11 fee for your marriage certificate is included in the price of the ceremony.

If your ceremony is in a Religious setting (excluding Church of England) your £11 certificate fee will be paid when you give notice of marriage.

If your ceremony is in a Church of England setting, a Registrar will contact you by telephone to take the £11 payment for your marriage certificate once we have received the marriage schedule and before your certificate is posted to you.


Rate the information on this page

green smiley (good) orange smiley (average) red smiley (poor)

© Wigan Council