A naming / family welcoming ceremony is a special, non-religious way of celebrating the birth of your baby or welcoming stepchildren or an adoptive child into a new family.
Children of any age can have a ceremony and if you wish, you can include your other children as well as your new child.
Any parent can arrange a family welcoming ceremony whether married or not.
Choosing a venue
You can have a ceremony at one of our venues or approved premises or any public venue within the Wigan and Leigh area as there are no legal requirements.
What will the ceremony include?
Your ceremony will normally contain some, or all, of the following:
- Celebrating the birth and welcome of your child into your family with your friends and relatives
- Announce the names that you have chosen and, perhaps, explain the story and reasons for the choice
- Parents, supporting adults (family and friends) and grandparents make promises of commitment and pledge to nurture and support your child into adult life
- Choose other adults prepared to promise a special supportive relationship to your child
- Include readings or poems of your choice or your Celebrant can suggest and advise.
- Music that is special to you
- A special book for guests to write down wishes for your child’s future
- Enhancements include a Unity Sand ceremony, where parents and children pour different coloured sand into a clear vase symbolising their unity and togetherness as a family.
A non-refundable booking fee is payable for booking your ceremony. This fee confirms the date, time and place of your ceremony.
All fees include a commemorative certificate.
Booking your ceremony
- Book your date, time and venue online - we will check availability and get back to you
- Once you’ve received confirmation, visit Wigan or Leigh Life Centre and pay your ceremony fee by card to secure your booking
- You must pay the final fee 2 months before the ceremony date, we will then send out your ceremony choices booklet
- You will need to complete your booklet (including any additional readings or speeches) and return it to us at least 3 weeks before the ceremony date by email, post (Wigan Life Centre, The Wiend, Wigan, WN1 1NH) or in person to Wigan or Leigh Life Centre
- We will contact you a week before the ceremony to confirm all your requirements and talk you through the day.
My Family Tree poster or Commemorative Birth Certificate
Mark your baby’s place in your family history with a beautiful My Family Tree print.
Printed professionally on high quality A3 card, you can write family names in the blank circles, or cut out and stick family photos on before framing. This is a perfect gift to purchase after registering the birth and costs £8.
You can also purchase a Commemorative Birth Certificate, which you can personalise with your own message such as 'Welcome to the World'. The certificate costs £5.
You can purchase both items for £10 as a package.