Each ward in Wigan borough will be hosting Week of Action including waste and recycling amnesty days, providing residents the opportunity to dispose of and recycle unwanted items.
Residents will be able to come and drop off similar items to those accepted at our Household Waste Recycling Centres, such as old and worn furniture, old toys, garden furniture, appliances and white goods, excess household waste, and more all for free.
Wigan Council environment officers will be in attendance on each day ready to answer questions, offer advice on how to report littering and fly-tipping to the council and more.
If your unwanted item is in re-useable condition, why not offer it to someone who could use it, whether that’s family, friends, a community group or charity before throwing it away.
Two wards will be visited each week, one on the east and one on the west side of the borough.
15 - 19th May
- Brookhouse Terrace, Ince.
- Across two sites on junction of Plank Lane/Heath Lane and on Common Lane, Leigh West
22nd - 26th May
- Junction of Car Bank Avenue/Devonshire Road, Atherton North
- Helvellyn Road, Pemberton
5th - 9th June
- Grassed area at Ellesmere Street, beside 35 John Street, Tyldesley
- Newtown Working Men's Club just off Scot Lane opposite Aldi, Douglas
12th - 16th June
19th - 23rd June
- Leigh South
- Wigan Central
26th - 30th June
- Standish with Langtree
3rd - 7th July
- Shevington with Lower Ground and Moor
10th - 14th July
- Lowton East
- Worsley Mesnes
17th - 21st July
- Atherton South and Lilford
- Wigan West
24th July - 28th July
31st July - 4th August
- Golborne and Lowton
- Ashton-In-Makerfield South
7th - 11th August
- Leigh Central and Higher Folds
- Aspull, New Springs, Whelley
14th - 18th August
- Hindley Green
- Mosley Common
Exact locations will be added to this page added ahead of the week of action. These locations will be based on intelligence about local hotspots, to ensure they are in the best place.
The waste amnesty day will be held on the Monday of each week, with a skip back on Thursday for anyone who could not make the first day.
Items that will not be accepted include:
- Plasterboard/building waste
- Hazardous waste liquids or materials including asbestos
- Car batteries
- Tyres and engine oil
- Medical/clinical waste.
During the rest of the week, Streetscene will be out in the local area carrying out cleaning and maintenance works, including clearing fly-tipping and litter picking.
If you cannot attend the waste amnesty days in your area, remember you can dispose of up to five bulky waste items, twice in any 12-month period for free too.
Find out more on our Bulky waste and larger household items webpage.