Child’s Play – A celebration of childhood
A new exhibition giving children a taste of life in the Victorian era. A free interactive experience giving families an insight into Victorian Life through dress up, games and education.
Exhibition evening – Wigan open Exhibition
Join us for the opening evening of Wigan Open Exhibition 2018! Showcasing artists from the North West and beyond. Wigan Open Exhibition is an eclectic show that celebrates local and national talents.
Prize's include: £600 1st prize, £150 People’s Choice Prize, £150 Young Person’s Prize.
The Three Towns in Concert
Striking the right note for everyone with a variety of Songs from the Shows, Broadway, West End, Popular and Classical Music in a relaxed cabaret setting. Bar and refreshments available.
- Friday 16th and Saturday 17th November: 7.30pm
- St. Joseph’s Hall, Chapel Street, Leigh WN7 2PR
- Tickets are £10 each
- Contact 01942 605369 or 01942 676594 to book tickets
- Tickets are also available at The Baby Centre, 15 Queen Street, Leigh WN7 4NQ or call 01942 665615
- Book tickets online for The Three Towns in Concert (external link).
Sunshine House Christmas fayre
Join us at Sunshine House in Scholes for their annual Christmas Fayre. We’ll be using this opportunity to fundraise for Umbrella Arts by selling ceramic and wooden gifts for children (and big kids) to paint and take home on the day.
- Saturday 17th November 2018: 10am – 4pm
- Sunshine House, Wellington Street, Scholes, Wigan, WN1 3SD
- Free event.
Leigh Christmas Makers Market
Leigh will be holding a one day festive makers market in Leigh Town centre.
- Saturday 17th November 2018
- Bradshawgate, Leigh
- Free event and no need to book.
Appley Bridge Christmas Markets
Free entry to our Christmas Markets! Come along and browse the amazing range of Christmas gifts, join in with the crafts at the make your own Christmas cards stand for the children. Amazing prizes to be won on the chocolate tombola and raffle!
- Sunday 18th November 2018: 11am – 4pm
- Appley Bridge Community Centre, Appley Lane North, Wigan, WN6 9AQ
- Free event
Santa Parade - Wigan
Visit the stages in Believe Square and Marketplace for a host of family entertainment including magical Santa and reindeer appearances until 4pm. Enjoy a day of free fun including street theatre, local community groups, a Christmas pipe band and much more
- Sunday 18th November 2018: 1pm – 4pm
- Wigan Town Centre, Wigan, WN1 1PE
- Free event
Rebel Women – the fight for suffrage in Wigan and beyond
2018 marks the centenary of the first General Election in which some women could vote for the first time. This all-day event will explore women’s suffrage and the voices that led to change.
Local historian and Wigan Borough suffrage expert Yvonne Eckersley will open the day with her talk on ‘Wigan Borough – 50 Years of Women’s Suffrage 1868 – 1918’. Other confirmed speakers include women’s rights activist and writer Dr. Helen Pankhurst, feminist and academic Dr. Ali Ronan, and local historians Sue Maiden and Marianne Howell.
- Thursday 22nd November 2018: 10am – 5pm
- Museum of Wigan Life, Library Street, Wigan
- Tickets £12 for residents from the Wigan Borough and £15 for everyone else - lunch is included. Places are limited so please book now!
- For more information or to book please contact the Museum of Wigan Life on 01942 828128 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Leigh Christmas Light Switch On
Leigh’s annual Christmas light switch on with live music and stage show.
- Thursday 22nd November 2018: 5pm – 7pm
- Leigh town centre
- Free event and no need to book.
Leigh Film Society – Inspired by Film Launch night
A film programme selected by artists. Enjoy the cinematic choices that have influenced artists and see the works they have inspired. The film this week is The Square.
Through the Decades Christmas Party Night
Get in to the party season with our Through the Decades Christmas Party Nights. Enjoy a festive 4 course meal and then dance the night away to the sounds of our resident DJ. Playing popular hits from the decades along with festive favourites, you’ll be sure to need your dancing shoes all night long. Events includes a 4 course meal, disco with DJ & bar service.
How to Be WomanLEIGH
A one woman show based on true events. On the 15th July 1909, suffragette Florence Clarkson and other members of the WSPU arrived in Leigh with the intention of disrupting a Liberal demonstration at the Co-operative Hall. Florence Clarkson was arrested and accepted instead a 14 day prison sentence at Strangeways Prison.
This dramatic interpretation is an attempt to give back voices to all those women who played their part in life-changing times but whose lives were deemed not important enough to be recorded. Light refreshments will be provided.
Written by Julie McKiernan and performed by Katherine McDermott.
- Saturday 24th November 2018: 3pm (1 hour performance)
- Turnpike Gallery, Civic Square, Leigh WN7 1EB
- Tickets: £6.00 – Available to buy with cash or cheque at Leigh library.
- Please contact Wigan Archives on 01942 404430 or email@example.com for more information.
Courtyard Christmas tree light switch-on
Launching the Christmas events season at Haigh Hall.
1.30pm - Brass in the Courtyard
2.30pm - Featuring the traditional Christmas sounds of Old Hall Brass Band
3.15pm - Milltown Christmas Chorus
3.45pm - The Old Hall Brass return to the stage
4pm - The arrival of Santa
4.15pm - Milltown Christmas Chorus
Countdown and Christmas Tree Switch On (Arrival of Santa).
- Sunday 25th November 2018: 12pm – 4.45pm
- Haigh Woodland Park, School Lane, Wigan, WN2 1PE
- Free admission.
Leigh Santa parade
Santa and his reindeer will lead a large community through Leigh town Centre followed by fun events and activities in the town centre for all the family.
- Sunday 25th November 2018
- Free event and no need to book
Visit Trencherfield Mill on a Steaming Sunday to admire this giant’s immense size and power, but more importantly, experience it working as it did all those years ago. At 1pm you’ll enjoy an informative multimedia presentation by engineers about the Mill Engine’s history.
- Sunday 25th November 2018: 1pm – 4pm
- Trencherfield Mill, Wigan pier Quarter, Wigan, WN3 4EF
- Tickets: Adult - £4, Children under 12 and concessions - £2, Family ticket (up to two adults and two children) - £10
- For further information and booking enquiries contact 01942 828128.
Wigan on Film – An evening of fascinating local history
The Old Courts are delighted to welcome The North West Film Archive for an unmissable delve into the history of Wigan. Archivist Geoff Senior introduces 90 minutes of spectacular, hand-picked material including local documentaries, promotional films and cinema newsreels from the last 100 years in Wigan.
A true nostalgic insight into our town. Spot the places you know, learn how the town has changed and discover bygone Wigan in the cinematic glory of our seated theatre.
Leigh Film Society presents Journey’s End
Leigh Film Society presents Innocence lost, Courage found – Journeys End. Commemorating the 100th anniversary of the end of WW1. BYOB and pizzas welcome, a bar will be available.
Noasis – Oasis Tribute
Noasis is the definitive tribute band to Manchester’s five piece super group Oasis. Since their formation in 2006 and with over 900 performances to date Noasis has justly earned its reputation.
The Galleries Christmas Market
Come along to our Christmas Market at The Galleries with over 30 stalls.
- Friday 7th December, Saturday 8th December
- Friday 14th December and Saturday 15th December
- 9am - 5pm.
The Galleries Chrismas Grotto
Come to our Christmas Grotto to see Father Christmas inside a giant tree! Featuring a selfie with the Elf, Snow King and Queen with Christmas music.
- Saturday 8th and Saturday 15th December
- 11am - 3pm.