Believe Sports Awards will cap a momentous year for Wigan Borough
Believe Sports Awards
Nominations are now open for the 2022 Believe Sports Awards, part of a huge year for sports across Wigan Borough.
Hosted by Wigan Council’s Be Well services, the annual awards shine a spotlight on volunteers and individuals who help sporting clubs, in addition to celebrating athletes and participants.
A range of categories are available for nominations with an awards ceremony taking place in November at the Edge Conference Centre.
This year’s awards are sponsored by JJH Builders and were launched this week with the help of the Wigan Warriors Community Foundation and Leigh Genesis players.
Councillor Chris Ready, cabinet portfolio holder for communities, said: “We know, from our day-to-day work in the community that there are so many wonderful individuals, teams and groups of people who deserve to be recognised and we’d encourage anyone who knows someone like this to take the time to nominate them.
“It’s extremely important to recognise inspirational people who are making such a valuable contribution to sport every day of the year.
“The Believe Sports Awards provides an opportunity to give them the recognition they deserve and celebrate the talent being developed at grassroots level.”
The awards ceremony will cap a momentous year for local sport, with both the Rugby League World Cup and the UEFA Women’s Euros tournament being hosted by Wigan Borough.
Nominations should reflect achievements between September 2021 and the closing date of August 31, 2022.
For more information, visit
The full list of categories is as follows Believe Sports Awards 2022
- Young Sports Achiever of the Year (Sponsored by Leigh Centurions)
- Club of the Year (Sponsored by FCC Environments)
- Inclusion in Sport Award (Sponsored by XN Leisure)
- Volunteer of the Year (Sponsored by Wigan Athletic Community Trust)
- The Wilf Brogan Unsung Hero Award (Sponsored by Agilisys)
- Changing Lifestyle Recognition Award (Sponsored by Technogym)
- Team of the Year (Sponsored by Wigan Warriors Community Foundation)
- The Martin Lynn School Commitment to PE and Sport (Sponsored by Edge Hill University)
Posted on Friday 27th May 2022