Wigan Borough's big welcome to the stars of UEFA Women's EURO 2022
Wigan and Leigh - it's showtime sign
UEFA Women's EURO 2022 has taken over the region's welcome signs as Greater Manchester gets ready to welcome Austria, Belgium, England, Iceland, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Sweden and Switzerland.
- UEFA Women’s EURO 2022 has taken over welcome signs across Greater Manchester to celebrate the arrival of the national teams taking part in this summer’s tournament
- Bespoke signs have been installed in all of England’s nine host cities, including the Manchester region with Manchester, Trafford and Wigan & Leigh all featuring signs for the duration of the tournament
- Tickets for matches at the Manchester City Academy and Leigh Sports Village are still available at UEFA Women's Euro ticketing (external link).
UEFA Women’s EURO 2022 has taken over the region’s welcome signs as Greater Manchester gets ready to welcome Austria, Belgium, England, Iceland, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Sweden and Switzerland.
The tournament, is expected to be the biggest women’s sporting event in European history, with many of the world’s greatest female footballers taking part.
Manchester, Trafford and Wigan & Leigh will play host to eight games throughout July, including England’s opening match against Austria at Old Trafford and a quarter-final tie.
The new UEFA Women’s EURO roadsigns showcase the national flags of the teams playing in the region. Manchester’s Princess Road sign, includes Belgium, Iceland and Italy, while Trafford’s Edge Lane sign features Austria and England and Wigan & Leigh’s sign includes Portugal, Netherlands, Sweden and Switzerland. The signs are installed in preparation for the biggest celebration of women’s football in European history.
With over 450,000 tickets sold, even before a ball is kicked, this year’s event has already surpassed the previous tournament record of 240,045 set in the Netherlands (2017).
Ahead of the opening match at Old Trafford on 6 July, fans are encouraged to welcome and embrace all the teams arriving into the region.
The FA’s Head of Tournament Delivery, Chris Bryant said: “We’re delighted to be able to officially welcome the UEFA Women’s EURO 2022 teams to England. We have an exciting few weeks ahead and a fantastic opportunity for football fans to experience some of the world’s very best players on their doorstep. As we look ahead to the opening match, excitement across the country is growing at an incredible rate. Anyone who hasn’t got a ticket still has a chance to get involved and show their support for what is already a huge history-making moment for women’s football.”
During the tournament, fans in Manchester will be able to watch some of the best players in the world. BBC Women’s Footballer of the Year 2021 and Netherlands international Vivianne Miedema will be fighting for the title in Wigan & Leigh. Manchester City stars Alex Greenwood, Lauren Hemp, Ellie Roebuck, Keira Walsh and Ellen White will be helping to kick off England’s tournament in the opening fixture at Old Trafford.
UEFA Women’s EURO England 2022 brings the tournament back to England for the first time since 2005. Tickets are still available for fans to experience a record-breaking tournament that aims to unite football and communities and amplify the growth of the women’s game.
Old Trafford Fixtures
- England v Austria (Wednesday 6 July)
Manchester City Academy Fixtures
- Belgium v Iceland (Sunday 10 July)
- Italy v Iceland (Thursday 14 July)
- Italy v Belgium (Monday 18 July)
Wigan & Leigh Fixtures
- Portugal v Switzerland (Saturday 9 July)
- Netherlands v Portugal (Wednesday 13 July)
- Sweden v Portugal (Sunday 17 July)
- Quarter Final (Friday 22 July)
Prices start at £10 for adults and £5 for under 16s. Visit UEFA Women's Euro (external link).
Posted on Tuesday 28th June 2022