Everyone's a winner at 'Lose Weight Feel Great 2018' Awards
Louise Wilkinson - Changing Lifestyle and Increased Activity Award Winner Community Weight Management
More than 300 people celebrated a year to remember at the 7th annual Lose Weight Feel Great Celebrations held at the DW Stadium, Wigan on Friday 23rd November.
Organised by Inspiring healthy lifestyles the evening comprised of awards, motivational stories and a catwalk showcasing the past year’s achievements of the Lose Weight Feel Great programmes across Wigan Borough.
Over the past 12 months an impressive 155 stone has been collectively lost by all of Friday night’s participants.
The Lose Weight Feel Great weight management programmes are a collaborative approach to tackling weight loss in the borough. Led by Wigan Council the programmes are delivered by numerous partners including Inspiring healthy lifestyles, Healthy Routes, Slimming World, Wigan Warriors Community Foundation, Wigan Athletic Community Trust and Aintree NHS.
They offer residents bespoke physical activity sessions alongside healthy eating advice within a community setting.
The event compered by journalist and reporter Dave Guest celebrated the amazing achievements of all participants on the child and adult weight management programmes over the past 12 months.
Special guests included Mayor of Wigan Sue Greensmith and Consort Allen Greensmith - the mayor kindly acted as the awards giver. Also in attendance were Gareth Cross, Chair of Board of Trustees Inspiring healthy lifestyles; Pete Burt, Managing Director of Inspiring healthy lifestyles and Professor Kate Ardern, Director of Public Health at Wigan Council, who delivered the opening speech.
Prof Ardern said: “Lose Weight Feel Great is more than just a weight loss programme. It’s about enhancing the self-belief and confidence of all those taking part. Everyone here tonight is a winner, everyone has been on their own journey and challenged themselves and the results are fantastic.”
One of the partners working with Lose Weight, Feel Great, is Inspiring healthy lifestyles. They deliver a wide range of services and organise many key events each year to promote and inspire people to be more active, creative and healthy.
Since Lose Weight Feel Great started in 2009, 27,100 people have accessed the Community Weight Management service delivered by Inspiring healthy lifestyles. The total weight loss of people accessing the programme since it started currently stands at a phenomenal 16,874 stone.
Awards on the night were presented to people attending a range of different Lose Weight Feel Great programmes which included:
- Let’s Get Movin’- the children’s weight management scheme.
- Community Weight Management – a free 12-week programme of physical activity and health eating advice.
- Lose Weight Feel Great FOR MEN - a free 12-week programme of physical activity and health eating advice for men.
- Specialist Weight Management - provided by Aintree NHS to provide tailored support for up to 24 months.
- Healthy Routes Advisors (provided by City Health Care Partnership) - one-to-one support to help residents lose weight and lead a healthier lifestyle.
Pete Burt, Managing Director of Inspiring healthy lifestyles who organised the celebration evening, said: “Friday’s celebration was not only a fantastic way to recognise the outstanding achievements of the residents in Wigan but to also recognise the hard work of Inspiring healthy lifestyles and our partners to inspire people to choose healthier more active and creative lifestyles.
“This is reflected in the Lose Weight Feel Great FOR MEN scheme with more than 500 men from the borough enrolling in the first four months collectively losing more than 1000kg!
“I hope 2019 has even more successes as we collaborate, innovate and enrich people’s lives in Wigan.”
The catwalk section of the evening played host to 38 models across the weight management teams, strutting their stuff on the catwalk to show off their new figures and new-found confidence.
Some models shared their amazing stories on their weight loss journey and explained how the programme has changed their lives.
The celebration raised funds for the Mayor’s Charity of the Year, Derian House Children’s Hospice, and Inspiring healthy lifestyles chosen charity, Motor Neurone Disease Association.
Award Winners on the evening were:
- Let’s Get Movin’ Changing Lifestyle Award Winners: Florence Richmond, Henrietta Richmond and Lucy Gough
Programme: Men’s Weight Management – Lose Weight Feel Great FOR MEN Winners:
- Changing Lifestyle Award: Phil Roberts (13.2kg)
- Increased Activity: Lee Bussell (17kg)
- Weight Loss Champion: Danny Green (36.1kg)
- Team award Lose Weight Feel Great for Men Rugby League Champions, Green Machine.
- Team Weight Loss Champions- Black Puddings 102kg ( Man Vs Fat )
Catwalk winners for Healthy Routes, Community Weight Management and Specialist Weight Management.
Specialist Weight Management winners:
- Changing Lifestyle Award, Paul Brennan
- Increased Activity Award, Ronald Bell
- Weight Loss Champion Award, Paul Brennan
Healthy Routes award winners:
- Changing Lifestyle Award winner, Ruth Smith
- Weight Loss Champion Winner, Pat Wilson
- Increased Activity Award, Euan Novak.
Community Weight Management
- Changing Lifestyle Award winner, Louise Wilkinson
- Weight Loss Champion Winner, Jason Greenough.
- Increased Activity Award, Louise Wilkinson
Posted on Friday 7th December 2018