If you have a positive COVID-19 case in your workplace, there are a number of things you must do. Time is of the essence to prevent further spread amongst your employees.
What you need to do
Contact tracing - identify the close contacts of the positive case
You should speak to the employee that has tested positive as soon as possible about their workplace contacts.
Self-isolation service hub - notify the hub of workplace contacts
You must notify the service hub of any workplace contacts by calling 020 3743 6715. This will allow close contacts to receive a CTAS reference number, so those eligible can apply for a self-isolation support payment from their local council.
Please note, you will need to ask the case to supply their CTAS number to you (they will have received this unique 8 digit-code with their positive test result). You will need to provide the CTAS number of the person who tested positive to the hub.
Others actions you must consider
Staff COVID Testing
To help your business stay open, we strongly advise that you encourage your employees to take rapid lateral flow coronavirus tests twice a week. These tests will pick up any positive cases and any employee that tests positive can self-isolate straightaway, and not pass the virus on to the rest of your workforce or your customers, risking closure.
Around 1 in 3 people have coronavirus without displaying any symptoms, so the expansion of asymptomatic testing will help to identify any positive cases of COVID-19 and will help to manage the spread of the virus. Testing is still important you have had you COVID 19 vaccine(s) to help reduce onward transmission.
You can encourage your employees to visit a rapid test centre twice a week.
If your employees are required to self-isolate, you must not allow them to continue to work in any setting other than their place of isolation.
Request a home test kit for businesses
There are 2 options available:
- If you are not registered with the national programme of workplace testing you can collect a supply of home test kits for staff from our current test sites as follows:
- Leigh South Community Centre, 32 Hope Carr Road, Leigh, WN73ET. Open Monday - Friday 9am-6pm, Saturday 9am-2pm
- Progress House, Westwood Park, Wigan, WN3 4HH. Open Monday - Friday 9am-6pm, Saturday 9am-2pm
- If collection from a test site is not possible, we can offer a delivery service direct to your business. You will need to email C19Testing@wigan.gov.uk with the following details to request your kits:
- Contact name
- Phone number
- Number of staff to be tested
- Business address including postcode (where the kits will be delivered)
Full instructions are provided with the kits. Staff are required to input their individual details and results onto the national web portal provided within the kit each time they complete a test. If you have any further queries, please email C19Testing@wigan.gov.uk