A free personally tailored programme for up to 24 months that will help you to manage your weight and improve your health and wellbeing.
Who are we?
The Specialist Weight Management Service (SWMS) is a FREE NHS weight management service available to those with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 and above or 35 with associated conditions such as Type 2 Diabetes, high blood pressure or high cholesterol.
Our team is made up of a range of specialist health professionals who can support you with your weight such as dietitians, physiotherapists, psychologist, occupational therapist and consultants and assistant practitioners.
What can you expect?
You can expect a friendly non-judgemental team that will provide personalised support. We will help you make positive lifestyle changes which will support weight management now and in the future. As a specialist team we will adapt and tailor support to your needs and any medical concerns.
We offer both one to one appointments and group sessions. We can also explore bariatric surgery with patients who meet the preliminary guidelines.
When and where are the sessions?
Appointments are held at our venues in Leigh Health Centre and Claire House, Lower Ince in Wigan. We offer a variety of appointments across the week including morning, afternoon and evening.
Please be aware that due to COVID-19 restrictions appointment options will be discussed on an individual basis and can include telephone and video consultations.
How can I access SWMS?
You can refer yourself to SWMS through Lose Weight Feel Great by:
For further information you can call us locally on 01942 483370.
Hear feedback from SWMS attendees...
- "The whole package is excellent and they went above and beyond. I can only recommend it. It has been a godsend"
- "I am extremely grateful to SWMS staff. I now have a vision of a healthier, more active retirement"
- "My self-confidence has gone through the roof. My weight loss has helped the pain in my left knee, I can walk further and my fitness levels have improved dramatically"
- "The team have expert knowledge and are all friendly and approachable; nothing is too much trouble to them. I learned so much about how to motivate myself by setting small measurable goals"
- "I have learnt to believe in myself, SWMS have helped me to gain confidence and given me the tools to make changes and to continue leading a healthy lifestyle."