Wigan Council intend to submit a planning application for the development of Westwood Park and a new link road to Goose Green. The regeneration of the brownfield site will create new retail opportunities, offices and housing as well as providing an efficient new route in and out of the town centre.
Wigan Council wants to see the former industrial land brought back in use offering employment and high quality facilities to continue the regeneration of our borough.
Previous proposals have not succeeded because of changes to the economic climate. The council is working closely with partners to bring about the investment needed to create Westwood Park and the associated transport links. The proximity of the Wigan Flashes has been a significant factor: we want to ensure the scheme is sympathetic to the adjoining area whilst also offering visitors the opportunity to more easily access and enjoy one of the major parts of Wigan’s Greenheart.
Wigan Council and its partners are now consulting on a mixed scheme which will offer…
- a new road that will reduce congestion on the B5238 Poolstock Lane
- new homes
- prime location for attracting business
- at least 1000 jobs (from independent studies)
- enhanced access to Greenheart and the Wigan Flashes
- improved safety for walkers and cyclists
- new public transport links
- reduced community severance caused by excess traffic
- improved access for all to Westwood Park and the town centre