The aim of this bulletin is to give the public advance notice of road works in the Wigan Council area. The Council recognises that roadworks can cause inconvenience and it is hoped that this information helps to minimise delays and other problems associated with the works. Every effort has been made to provide accurate and the most up to date information available but it is not intended to be a definitive list and cannot cater for works carried out at short notice. The Council also reserves the right to make changes to the programme if emergencies arise.
1. Atherleigh Way / Twist Lane, Leigh
A junction improvement scheme to replace the roundabout will commence on Monday 17th June 2013. The work is programmed for 20 weeks and due to be complete in November 2013.
Throughout the scheme the traffic management will change and updates will be provided. From the start of the scheme lane closures may become operational and delays in the peak period could be experienced. Further details will be provided in due course.
2. Bryn Road, Ashton in Makerfield
As part of the ongoing North West Electrification project by Network Rail the railway bridge on Bryn Road is being reconstructed. To allow this work to be undertaken the road was closed on Monday 3rd June 2013 until Monday 9th September 2013 (14 weeks). Access will be available for pedestrians at all times via a temporary footbridge.
The diversion route is via Wigan Road, Bolton Road and Bryn Road South.
Network Rail also has a 24 hour national helpline if the public want more information on 08457 11 41 41.
Furthermore, restrictions are in place prohibiting vehicles over 6 foot 6 inches (2 metres) on Nicol Road and Alexandra Road
3. Pemberton to Ashton in Makerfield
Electricity North West are carrying out major works upgrading their network between Pemberton and Ashton in Makerfield. Over several weeks works will impact on major routes and those that are likely to cause congestion will be published in this bulletin.
Billinge Road, Highfield
Various reinstating works will be carried out on Billinge Road on Sunday 16th June 2013. Temporary traffic signals will be in operation may be in operation for 1 day.
4. Gathurst Lane, Gathurst
Carriageway and footway reconstruction is substantially complete and no further closures are required.
5. Stone Cross Lane North / Longton Avenue, Lowton
National Grid Gas commenced works at this junction on Monday 10th June. Temporary traffic signals will be in operation for 1 week.
6.East Lancashire Road, Tyldesley
Refurbishment works will take place to Astley Brook Bridge commencing on the 15th July 2013 for 18 weeks. Lane closures and a contra-flow will be in operation at all times between Lingards Lane and Higher Green Lane. Delays will be expected.
7. Bag Lane, Atherton
United Utilities are carrying out urgent works to rectify a collapsed sewer between Gloucester Street and Mealhouse Lane. A road closure is in operation at present whilst the work is undertake. The road will be reopened when the sewer is fixed.
8. Soughers Lane, Ashton in Makerfield
National Grid Gas will carry out works on Monday 17th June 2013 between Chimes Road and Dryden Avenue. Temporary traffic signals will be in operation at all times for approximately 1 week.
9. Church Walks
St Catherine’s Church Walking Day Scholes
It is planned to take place on Sunday 16th June 2013 starting at 11:00 hrs in Scholes and expected to finish at 12:00hrs. The following restrictions will be in place:
- Temporary closure of Catherine Terrace – full length.
- Temporary closure of Catherine Street – full length.
- Temporary closure of Scholefield Lane – from Darlington Street East to Belvoir Street.
- Temporary closure of Belvoir Street – full length.
- Temporary closure of Vauxhall Road – from Belvoir Street to Scholes.
- Temporary closure of Scholes – from Vauxhall Road to Wellington Street.
- Temporary closure of Wellington Street – full length.
- Temporary closure of St Patricks Way – full length
- Temporary closure of Darlington Street East – from St Patricks Way to Rupert Street
- Temporary closure of Rupert Street – full length.
- Temporary closure of Hardybutts – from Rupert Street to Scholefield Lane
Bag Lane Methodist Church Atherton
It is planned to take place on Sunday 16th June 2013 starting at 14:30 hrs in Atherton and expected to finish at 16:00hrs. The following restrictions will be in place:
- Temporary closure of Factory Street West – full length.
- Temporary closure of Wigan Road – from Factory Street West to Leigh Road.
- Temporary closure of Leighton Street – full length.
- Temporary closure of Lambeth Street – from Leighton Street to Lombard Street.
- Temporary closure of Lombard Street – full length.
- Temporary closure of Leigh Road – from Lombard Street to Bee Fold Lane.
- Temporary closure of Bee Fold Lane – full length.
- Temporary closure of Hamilton Street – from Leigh Road to Mayfield Street.
- Temporary closure of Mayfield Street – from Hamilton Street to Market Street.
- Temporary closure of Market Street – from Mayfield Street to Leigh Road
St Michaels Church Swinley
It is planned to take place on Sunday 16th June 2013 starting at 14:00 hrs in Swinley and expected to finish at 15:30hrs. The following restrictions will be in place:
- Temporary closure of Swinley Road – from Earl Street to Kenyon Road.
- Temporary closure of Swinley Lane – from Swinley Road to Copperfield
- Temporary closure of Copperfield – full length
- Temporary closure of Walkden Avenue East – from Copperfield to Goldenways
- Temporary closure of Goldenways – full length.
- Temporary closure of Hornby Street – from Goldenways to Edward Street.
- Temporary closure of Edward Street – full length.
- Temporary closure of Dicconson Street – from Swinley Road to Upper Dicconson Street.
- Temporary closure of Upper Dicconson Street – Dicconson Street to Dicconson Terrace.
- Temporary closure of Wrightington Street – Avondale Road to Dicconson Street
- Temporary closure of Dicconson Terrace – Upper Dicconson Street to Wrightington Street
- Temporary closure of Trafalgar Road – Wrightington Street to Shaw Street
- Temporary closure of Avondale Road – Sandycroft Avenue to Wrightington Street
- Temporary closure of Shaw Street – full length
- Temporary closure of Earl Street – Shaw Street to Swinley Road
- Temporary closure of Lord Street – full length
- Temporary closure of Wigan Lane – Lord Street to Duke Street
- Temporary closure of Duke Street – full length
Forthcoming Road Closures
Parsonage Way, Leigh
Further to the Atherleigh Way / Twist Lane scheme above Parsonage Way will be closed on Monday 8th July 2013 at Atherleigh Way for approximately 17 weeks. Access into the retail park will be directly off Atherleigh Way.
Access out of the business park is via Leighbrook Way
Ironman, Leigh & Atherton
Ironman is a race event that takes place in the UK every year and it involves a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile cycle and 26 mile run. This year the swim will use Pennington Flash and the cycle race will use roads in Leigh and Atherton. The event will be held on Sunday 4th August 2013 and start in Pennington Flash in the morning. Just prior to the event starting the following roads will be closed to traffic for the safety of competitors, spectators and motorists:
- St Helens Road, Leigh – Daric Close to Atherleigh Way
- Atherleigh Way – St Helens Road to Wigan Road, Atherton
- Gibfield Park Way, Atherton – Full length
- Gibfield Park Avenue, Atherton – Full length
- North Road, Atherton – Gibfield Park Avenue to Platt Lane, Westhoughton
All roads are expected to be open for 12.00 noon and the race will continue into Bolton and Chorley areas. All accesses onto the above roads will be closed except Wigan Road, Atherton (A577).
Vehicles will be allowed to travel on this road however stop/go signals will be in operation to manage the traffic into or out of Atherton. Access for vehicles wishing to get to Leigh from the East Lancashire Road is via Atherleigh Way, St Helens Road and King Street. From the North it will be via Leigh Road from Atherton.
Forthcoming Road Closures
Further details regarding any of the matters contained in this bulletin can be obtained from Mr Tony Hemingway, Street Works Co-ordinator, Wigan Council on 01942 489306.
NOTE: Where reference is made in this bulletin to "peak periods" that period is defined as 7-30am to 9-30am and 4-0pm to 6-0pm, Monday to Friday.
Telephone Numbers For Road Works Queries
||Telephone Number |
|Wigan Council Network Co-ordinator
||01942 489306 |
|Wigan Council Technical Assistant (Traffic)
||01942 489308 |
||0800 800 150 |
|Electricity North West
||0800 048 1820|
||0845 454 1111 |
|National Grid Gas - Formerly Transco (Escapes)
||0800 111999 |
|United Utilities Water (Including Drainage)
||08457 462200 |
|Greater Manchester Police
||0161 872 5050 |
|Wigan Council (Emergencies - Out Of Hours)
||01942 404040 |