The planning system plays an important role in helping protect the environment in our towns and cities and in the countryside. In England and Wales, a 'plan-led system' outlines what can be built and where.
- The Communities and Local Government (CLG) (external link) sets out national planning policy, but the main responsibility rests with the local planning authority.
- We have produced a Local Development Framework which outlines how planning will be managed. It is important that individuals and communities get involved when the documents are prepared.
- We are responsible for deciding whether a development, from an extension on a house to a new shopping centre, should go ahead.
Planning Permission and Building Regulations
- Most new buildings or major changes to existing buildings or to the local environment need consent. This is known as planning permission.
- Obtaining Planning permissions approval is a separate matter from building regulations approval. It is your responsibility to ensure that any other necessary consents are applied for and obtained.
Weekly list of applications
Read the minutes of our Service Users Forum