This is generally carried out by the examination and passing of plans of proposed building work and subsequently supervising and approving the work on site.
Wigan's Building Control service
Deals with approvals and inspections under the Building Regulations together with certain other public safety related functions.
The Building Regulation system
Most new buildings and alterations to existing buildings, including replacement windows and glazed doors, reroofing or rebuilding of walls require approval under the Building Regulations. The Council’s Building Control Surveyor will advise you on the following:
- If your proposals require building regulation consent and how best to obtain that consent.
- Details regarding fees for plan submission and site inspections.
- The difference between Full Plans (.pdf, 76kb) and Building Notice (.pdf, 73kb) submissions.
- Types of ground conditions likely to be encountered in the area you propose to develop.
- Whether special foundations such as piles or rafts are likely to be requested.
Inspection of works on site
Our Building Control Surveyors will make statutory and routine inspections during the construction stage of the building to ensure compliance with the building regulations and other allied legislation.
We encourage confidential pre-submission consultations to avoid wasteful design time and reduce project costs.
Other services carried out by the Building Control Section include:
- Applying for Building Regulations Approval (.pdf, 257Kb)
- Inspection of building work in progress (.pdf, 254Kb)
- Regularisation procedure (.pdf, 250Kb)
- Types of garage and carport exempt from Building Regulations (.pdf, 698Kb)
- Conservatories and porches exempt from Building Regulations (.pdf, 654Kb)
- Smoke detectors in dwellings (.pdf, 645Kb)
- Building Regulations and loft conversions (.pdf, 350Kb)
- Part P Building Regulations - Electrical safety (.pdf, 249Kb)
- Choosing a builder - avoid the cowboy (.pdf, 307Kb)
- Replacement of windows, roof windows, rooflights and certain external doors in dwellings (.pdf, 394Kb)
- Conservation of Fuel and Power - Guidance for designers (.pdf, 195Kb)
- Conservation of Fuel and Power - Guidance for householders (.pdf, 328Kb)
- Access to our services (.pdf, 280Kb)
- Removal of asbestos from buildings prior to demolition (.pdf, 40Kb)
- Building Regulations - Explanatory booklet (external link)
- The Party Wall Act 1996 - Explanatory booklet (external link)
Health & Safety Executive guidance
If you are doing or having construction and building work carried out you will have health and safety responsibilities to consider and may need to notify the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) (external link) before starting work.
Considerate Constructors Scheme
The Considerate Constructors Scheme (external link) is the national initiative, set up by the construction industry, to improve its image.
Sites that register with the Scheme sign up and are monitored against a Code of Considerate Practice, designed to encourage best practice beyond statutory requirements.
The Scheme is concerned about any area of construction activity that may have a direct or indirect impact on the image of the industry as a whole. The main areas of concern fall into three main categories: the environment, the workforce and the general public.
The very best performing sites are recognised with Annual National Awards (external link).
Wigan Council would encourage all contactors with suitable projects to sign up to the scheme.
LABC New Home Warranty
LABC New Home Warranty (LABC NHW), together with LABC, can provide developers and self builders with a complete range of developer services to support build programmes from start to finish, from warranties, right through to sale with the Home Information Pack service. The synergies of providing these services under one roof allows them to pass significant cost savings on to you. Services available include:
- 10 year Structural Warranties
- Code for Sustainable Homes Assessments
- EPC, PEA and accredited SAP Assessments
- SBEM Assessments
- Acoustic Testing
- Air Pressure Testing
- Home Information Packs
To find out more or obtain a quotation, please contact the LABC New Home Warranty Team (external link).