The Child Support Team works with schools in the Wigan Borough. The team provides an advice line for schools Monday to Friday 9am to 4 pm term time only. Each school will have their allocated Child Support worker who goes into schools to discuss all aspects of Safeguarding Child Protection with the Designated Person for Child Protection, advising of any new legislation that they need to take into consideration. The team works closely with schools to develop their Child Protection Policy and Procedure. The team provide Safeguarding Child Protection training to schools as part of the three year strategic plan that ensures schools comply with the Education Act 2002 under section 175.
The Child Support Team works in partnership with schools in the ;-
- Provision of guidance and advice in accordance with the Wigan Safeguarding Children Board
- Development and sharing of good practices on Child Protection issues
- Attendance at Change in Need ( Change for Children meetings ) meetings to offer advice, support and appropriate signposting to relevant activities/services if required. (Our aim is to attend all the Child in Need meetings held within school however this may not be possible due to the school's link worker's other commitments)
- Assistance in the development of individual school’s Child Protection Policies and Procedures
- Provision of the telephone advice line, Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm term time only
- Safeguarding Child Protection training for whole school staff (as required under section 175 Education 2002) We have a three year rolling programme of Safeguarding training.
- Safeguarding Child Protection training for school governors, designated person and NQTs.
- Follow up of Child Protection Referrals by schools with Social Care Services..
- Supports school staff in being able to communicate and engage appropriately to disclosures of CP concerns including allegations of professional abuse.
- To undertake an initial assessment of a family as a single agency response or in partnership with other agencies.
- Support with the completion (no s on the end)of the common assessment (CAF) with families. The link Child Support worker will work in partnership with a member of the school and the family in the completion of the CAF, the school will hold case work responsibility