Transport Modelling Study
The "Core Strategy Transport Study" has modelled proposed development sites across the Borough to identify potential highway impacts.
Leigh Area Rail Study
A study was commissioned for investigating passenger rail opportunities in the east of the Borough. The final report has now been published.
Rail Freight Study
A study was commissioned to investigate the potential for carrying more freight by rail. The final report has now been published.
Wigan Hub Study
We are also investigating the feasibility of a transport interchange 'hub' where all transport modes would come together in a single place - bus, rail, car, taxi, cycling and walking. We published an outline plan called "Getting Business Back on Track" (.pdf, 1,119KB). The detailed study is now complete and the final report has now been published.
- Contents page (.pdf, 105KB)
- Executive Summary (.pdf, 295KB)
- Introduction (.pdf, 186KB)
- Background (Part 1) (.pdf, 381KB)
- Backgorund (Part 2) (.pdf, 1450KB)
- Background (Part 3) (.pdf, 219KB)
- Background (Part 4) (.pdf, 275KB)
- Baseline Assumptions & Option Development (.pdf, 1349KB)
- Option Design Overview Plans (.pdf, 1400KB)
- SWOT Summary Assessment (Part 1) (.pdf, 800KB)
- SWOT Summary Assessment (Part 2) (.pdf, 594KB)
- SWOT Summary Assesssment (Part 3) (.pdf, 759KB)
- Option Costs and Appraisal (.pdf, 508KB)
- Economic Assessment and Funding Options (.pdf, 299KB)
- Conclusion and Next Steps (.pdf, 209KB)
- Appendix A - Bus Service Maps (.pdf, 581KB)
- Appendix B - Option Assessment Results (.pdf, 233KB)
- Appendix C - HFAS Statistics (.pdf, 79KB)
Local Development Framework
The Local Development Framework (or LDF) is a series of statutory documents that the Council will use to control development and determine planning applications. The proposals have significant transport implications, so we have assisted in the development of several key documents:
Transport statistics (external link) are published by Transport for Greater Manchester, for Greater Manchester as a whole and for individual councils, including Wigan. The latest reports are for the year 2010.
The Strategic Transport Route Assessment Plan (or STRAP) attempts to identify the causes of congestion and proposes interventions that aim to improve the network performance. An annual report is presented to the Economy, Environment, Culture and Housing Scrutiny Committee. The latest STRAP performance report (.pdf, 125KB) was presented on 25 January 2012; you may also need to access the STRAP performance report appendices.
The Local Area Implementation Plan (LAIP) sets out the key interventions for delivering the third Greater Manchester Local Transport Plan (LTP3) in Wigan. While LTP3 sets out the strategic direction for transportation across Greater Manchester, the Wigan LAIP (.pdf, 588KB) brings that strategy down to a local level in alignment with the Council‟s own priorities.