In Wigan borough, the LTP is delivered by a dedicated team in the council's Environmental Services Department. LTP is about providing value for money transportation measures, accessibility improvements and Travel Plans for residents, schools and businesses.
In the borough issues such as:
- shortage of car parking at railway stations
- public transport accessibility issues in the north of the borough, and between Wigan and Warrington
- poor east-west access across the borough by road
- narrow main roads making provision for cyclists difficult
- high percentage of children taken to school by car
...are to be examined and addressed by providing opportunity for car sharing, improving public transport links, cycling schemes and "safe routes to schools" projects.