Your Household Waste Recycling Centres
Kirkless, Makerfield Way, Higher Ince, WN2 2PR
Current site staus OK
Slag Lane, Leigh, WA3 1BZ
Current site status OK
Chanters Industrial Estate, Arley Way, off Tyldesley Old Road, Atherton, M46 9FF
Current site staus OK
Orrell - This site is now permanently closed; please take your waste & recycling to the site at Kirkless, Makerfield Way, Ince, WN2 2PR
Current Site Status Closed
Please note The sites are open daily at the times shown above, but they may close early when full, for servicing or under adverse circumstances. All sites are shut on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day.
What items are accepted at the sites
- Paper, Cardboard and telephone Directories
- Mixed textiles and clothes
- Cooking oil
- Foil ,cans and aerosols
- Scrap metals
- Hard plastics and plastic bottles
- Small electrical appliances
- Large domestic appliances
- TVs' and computer monitors'
- Fluorescent tubes and eco bulbs
- House hold batteries
- Soil,wood,hardcore and rubble
- Garden waste
- Used engine oil, tyres and car batteries
- Gas Bottles
Recycle centres leaflet (.pdf, 339kb)
HWRC access policy and permits
Wigan Council and its contractors FCC Environmental operate a HWRC access policy. This policy helps to reduce congestion, increase site safety and prevent the illegal deposition of trade waste at the centres.FCC Environmental Ltd reserve the right to refuse access to anyone not complying with the access policy or attempting to deposit trade waste.
Trade waste is not accepted at any of the sites, depositing trade waste at a Wigan Borough household waste recycling centre may amount to the commission of a criminal offence under section 34 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.
Applying for a permit
Residents intending to use a van, pickup, commercial vehicle or twin axle trailer to bring household waste from their own domestic property will be required to obtain a free permit before visiting the recycling centre. Any person attending a site with a commercial vehicle without a permit will be refused access.
The permit system is closely monitored and suspected illegal deposition of trade waste will be investigated and may result in prosecution.
Each individual vehicle is entitled to a maximum of one permit per month with a maximum of 12 per year.
Permits are free and should be applied for in advance by calling the Environmental Services Helpline on 01942 404364 during office hours to obtain a permit or apply for your permit online
Pedestrians WILL NOT be allowed to carry waste onto any of the Household Waste Recycling Centres. The maximum vehicle weight is 3.5 tonnes
No tipping mechanism can be used at the sites. Manual unloading only
Anyone deemed to be using abusive or intimidating behaviour WILL NOT be allowed to use any of the HWRCs
Asbestos will only be accepted from residents at the Kirkless HWRC and an appointment must be booked the day before attending site by contacting FCC Environmental on 01942 825755
Site specific restrictions
Please refer to the list below for information on the types of vehicles allowed at each site.
- Cars with or without a single axle trailer up to 4 metres long*
- Vans under 3.5 tonnes with or without a single axle trailer up to 4 metres long* WITH A PERMIT
- Cars or vans under 3.5 tonnes with a twin axle trailer up to 4 metres long WITH A PERMIT
Slag Lane and Chanters HWRCs
- Cars with or without a single axle trailer up to 3 metres long*
- Vans under 3.5 tonnes with or without a single axle trailer up to 3 metres long* WITH A PERMIT
- Cars or vans under 3.5 tonnes with a twin axle trailer up to 3 metres long* WITH A PERMIT
*Trailer length is measured from the hitch to the end of the trailer For the purpose of this permit scheme a ‘Van’ shall be deemed to be:
- Any vehicle without side or rear windows or seats
- Any ‘flatback’ vehicle
- Any ‘pick up’ vehicle, with or without detachable cover to rear load area
- Any vehicle with ‘blanked out’ rear windows