There are also 11 Registered Historic Parks, Gardens and cemeteries, of which Mesnes Park is listed by English Heritage. These historic buildings, areas, and landscapes provide valuable evidence of our social and economic history and contribute to our sense of place and identity.
The aims of Conservation are to:
- Preserve and enhance the borough's built environment
- Raise awareness of the importance of good design in achieving quality development
The Conservation Officers at Wigan Council are responsible for a wide range of key functions including:
- Providing design and conservation input into the Local Development Framework (LDF), Supplementary Planning Guidance and Development Briefs.
- Production of conservation appraisals and design guidance and information.
- Assessing Conservation Areas and developing enhancement schemes.
- Identifying and designating new Conservation Areas as appropriate.
- Advising on works that affect Listed Buildings.
- Participating in regeneration and enhancement schemes.
- Liaising with the Enforcement Section of Development Control in respect of unauthorised works affecting the historic environment.
- Dealing with pre-application enquiries.
We also provide specialist guidance and information on the repair of historic buildings, work to secure the restoration and retention of our Buildings at Risk and seek to raise the profile of the historic environment.