It includes the Darlington Street gas works, council’s Sovereign Road depot, Wigan International Pool and the former Town Hall.
Wigan Eastern Gateway provides a number of regeneration and development opportunities and is currently undergoing significant change. The document provides informal planning guidance and a framework for development and investment over the next few years. Whilst the document is ‘informal’ planning guidance in the short term, it may be added to council’s formal Local Development Framework in due course.
Some of the key points of the framework are:
- The vision for the Eastern Gateway is of a dynamic, active, mixed use area providing a home for business, residential, leisure and tourism uses.
- The framework identifies a number of potential development opportunities within the area.
- The document contains a number of guiding objectives, which underpin the vision. These are strengthened further with individual policies.
Wigan Eastern Gateway Development Framework
The Development Framework contains two separate sections:
- Background and Analysis Report - an analysis of the existing characteristics and built form of the area, undertaken to inform the new policies and objectives.
- Background part 1 (.pdf, 1058kB)
- Background part 2 (.pdf, 1138kB)
- Background part 3 (.pdf, 1245kB)
- Background part 4 (.pdf, 192kB)
- Background part 5 (.pdf, 1480kB)
- Background part 6 (.pdf, 1003kB)
- Background part 7 (.pdf, 1474kB)
- Background part 8 (.pdf, 1532kB)
- Background part 9 (.pdf, 913kB)
- Background part 10 (.pdf, 953kB)
- Planning Guidance - proposes an overall vision for the area and eight key objectives. It is this document which will be most useful for prospective developers and investors in the area.
- Guidance part 1 (.pdf, 660kB)
- Guidance part 2 (.pdf, 1035kB)
- Guidance part 3 (.pdf, 505kB)
- Guidance part 4 (.pdf, 369kB)
- Guidance part 5 (.pdf, 1396kB)
- Guidance part 6 (.pdf, 1250kB)
- Guidance part 7 (.pdf, 907kB)
- Guidance part 8 (.pdf, 1854kB)
- Guidance part 9 (.pdf, 1001kB)
- Guidance part 10 (.pdf, 948kB)
The Development Framework was approved by Council on 18 October 2007 and came into force on 30 October 2007.