Briefing Meeting for parents
Prior to all residential visits and, particularly for visits abroad, parents should be encouraged to attend a briefing meeting. Depending on the nature/complexity of the visit, it may be appropriate to hold more than one meeting.
Information provided at parents’ meeting should always be followed up in writing.
Alternative arrangements should be made available for those parents who cannot attend planned meetings or have difficulty in communicating in English.
The following basic information should be provided for parents:
- Dates of the visit
- Objectives of the visit
- Times of departure and return
- Modes of travel
- Names of travel/tour operator
- Size of group
- Level of supervision, including arrangements for remote supervision
- Details of accommodation including security and supervisory arrangements
- Provision for dealing with illness/accidents
- Name of Group Leader and all other accompanying adults
- Activity details and results or risk assessments
- Code of conduct Appropriate kit list
- Details of insurance
- Financial details – cost of visit/payment methods/spending money etc Information requested from parents and details of consent required
- Arrangement for contact with parents during the visit
- Arrangements for pupil’s contact with parents during the visit.