“Effective financial management arrangements are in place underpinned by a detailed medium term financial strategy and appropriate levels of balances and reserves…” (Use of Resources, Audit Commission 2009/10)
Wigan Council is one of the largest local authorities in the country, with more than 139,000 residential properties and a yearly gross budget of over £700m.
The money is used to pay for essential services like education, refuse collection, police and child protection.
All in all, the council delivers over 700 services for less than *£3 a day. We know you won’t access every council service every day; there are some services we hope you never have to depend on.
Below is a taster of our services.
- Community safety – e.g. alley gating
- Community cohesion – local democracy, community engagement, volunteers
- Activities for teenagers – such as x-zones and sports development
- Countryside, parks and open spaces
- Economy and employment – supporting businesses, creating jobs
- Education and skills – skills shops, way-to-work.co.uk (external link)
- Facilities for children – such as children’s centres
- Health – for example healthy schools
- Leisure and recreation – sports centres and play areas
- Street cleaning
- Transport – tackling congestion
Click here to see our full list of services.