What kind of payments can I make?
You can pay the following Council Tax, Business Rates (NNDR), Careline Service, Housing Rents, Social Services Bills, Poll Tax Arrears, Parking Fines and any General Invoices using our online payment system.
Are my details safe?
The Council uses the facilities of a leading e-Commerce company, WorldPay (External link), to process your credit/debit card transaction securely. All communication between you and WorldPay are encrypted and can only be interpreted by WorldPay. When you make a payment on our web site the Council does not have access of any kind to your card details.
The Council will use the information you provide for the sole purpose of administering your account(s) with the Council. No information will be released to any other organisation.
What Stages are Involved?
- Enter details of the payment(s) including what each payment is for, the reference number and the amount to pay. When you have finished click on the "Next" button.
- Check the details of your payment(s) and confirm the payment(s). If you agree, click on the "Enter Card Details" button. You will now be transferred to the WorldPay secure payment portal.
- On the WorldPay secure payment portal you will be asked to supply your card details. Note that you must enter the information marked with an asterisk [ * ] symbol.
What information do I need to provide?
- Identify the kind of payment. Use the dropdown box to select the type of bill you are paying.
- Enter the Council's reference number for the payment. The reference number may have a different name on your bill but will be found somewhere on the bill you wish to pay.
- Enter the amount you wish to pay. All amounts must be entered in pounds and pence with a decimal point e.g. 123.45.
- Contact Details. This information is optional. Any information you enter in the Contact Details fields will be held on the Wigan Council database and may be used to contact you if there are any queries regarding the account payment.
If you select the option to save the Contact Details to your PC, the system will pre-fill the fields with the information when you next access the page using the same computer.
Please note: if you are using a public computer to make payments do not choose to save your details.
If you wish to receive a receipt by email, you must enter an e-mail address.
On successful completion of your payment, WorldPay plc will send a receipt by email.
If you have entered an email address in the Contact details it will be passed to the WorldPay (External link) site and displayed with the payment information, otherwise a Wigan Council email address will be passed to WorldPay. You can, if necessary, amend the email address on the WorldPay page.
You can use the email receipt as your official proof of payment.
How do I get a receipt if I don't have an email account?
If you don't have an email account, leave the space blank. The WorldPay receipt will be sent to the Council instead. On successful completion of your payment, a page will be displayed with details of your payment. Print this out as your receipt.
Which types of cards can I use?
The following types are accepted by our online payment system:
Mastercard, Visa, Visa Delta, Visa Electron, Visa Purchasing and Switch / UK Maestro.
I need to pay two (or more) installments, must I make separate payments?
You can if you wish, but if the payments are all to the same reference number you can make one payment for the whole amount. If you are paying to different references, you must make a separate payment to each reference.
When will my payment be processed?
The Council's target is that payments completed before 4:00pm on a normal working day will be processed before 9:00 am the following working day.
To make payments to the Council by credit or debit card, must I use the Internet?
No. You can also make payments using the telephone by calling our bill payment hotline 01942 489006 24 hours a day. If you do not have a touch tone phone or would like to speak to an operator then you can call between 8:00 am and 6:00 pm Monday - Friday and 8:00 am and 12:30 pm on Saturday.
Please have your bill and card to hand.
What should I do if I have problems making a payment?
If you encounter any problems when trying to make payments on the Internet, please ring our bill payment hotline 01942 489006 between 8:00 am and 6:00 pm Monday - Friday and 8:00 am and 12:30 pm on Saturday.