The Mayor and Consort of Wigan Council for 2012/13, Councillor Myra Whiteside and her Consort, Mr John Hurst. The Deputy Mayor and Deputy Mayoress of Wigan Council for 2012/13 are Councillor William Rotherham and his partner, Miss Janet Lumley.
The Role of the Mayor
The Mayor of Wigan is the first citizen and chosen representative of the borough, acting as focal point for the community as well as promoting the borough and forging the national and international links.
The role of the Mayor includes:
- representing the borough at civic functions and engagements;
- promoting the borough nationally and internationally;
- visiting events organised by local charities and community groups;
- attending religious events of all denominations;
- meeting delegates from Angers (Wigan's twin town);
- chairing council meetings;
- conferring Honorary Freemen or Aldermen.
The Mayor of Wigan is always a serving Councillor, elected by the full Council at its annual general meeting held each May and stands for one year in office.
The Mayor's Chosen Charities 2012 - 2013
The Mayor of Wigan, Councillor Myra Whiteside has elected to devote her charity appeal to Wigan and Leigh Pensioners Link, which provides information, advice and advocacy together with social, health and educational activities for over 50's and carers.
Donations can be made out to "Mayor’s Charity Appeal" and forwarded to Mayoral Secretary. Registered Charity No. 1114354.