If you are finding it difficult to pay your Council Tax you are not alone. Each year the Council deals with enquiries from many people who find it hard to pay their bill. When you do have problems paying the most important thing to do is contact us and let us know about your situation. We will do our best to try and resolve the problem with you.
Here are some simple Do's and Don'ts
- Contact us straight away
- Keep paying as much as you can afford
- Write down your income and outgoings to work out what you can afford
- Contact the Citizens Advice Bureau (External link) for more help if you owe other debts too
- Check with us to see if you are entitled to Council Tax Benefit or any other reduction on your bill
- Ignore your bill or other letters we send to you
- Be tempted to borrow money to pay the bill
- Offer to pay more than you can really afford
- Assume the Council has made a mistake if the bills is more than you expected
- Pay credit cards, finance, loans or catalogues instead of your Council Tax
- Council tax arrears recovery policy
If you try to ignore the situation it will only get worse.