As Asylum Seekers do not have access to the benefits system, they can't be held responsible for the payment of Council Tax and rent. Therefore the landlord is responsible for full payment of the Council Tax on a property if it is only occupied by Asylum Seekers.
The National Asylum Support Services (NASS)(external link)
uses contractors to provide housing for Asylum Seekers. This is while applications are being processed.
The contractors are:
- Local Authorities; or
- Registered Social Landlords.
Housing providers must be approved by the Home Office before Asylum Seekers can be housed in their property.
The landlord can apply for such discounts as:
- Single Person Discount
- Unoccupied property - approved and waiting for Asylum Seekers to move in.
You must tell us:
- The date that the first Asylum Seekers move into your property.
- When there are no longer any Asylum Seekers living in it.
You do not need to tell us:
- The names of the Asylum Seekers living in your property.
- When there is a change in the occupiers, if the new occupiers are also Asylum Seekers.