Before you Marry
You are required to give a minimum of 15 clear days notice of your intention to marry. This must be done in the Registration District in which you both reside; therefore if you both live in different registration districts, notice must be given in each district. You must have lived in the district for a minimum of 9 days immediately prior to giving notice. Notice can be given up to 12 months in advance.
You must both appear in person and you will need to pay a fee of £35.00 each to give notice. You are not required to attend together, although this is preferred. Please telephone 01942 705000 to arrange an appointment before you attend.
Please note you must have selected a venue before giving your notice.
Where you can marry
Civil marriages can be held at any register office in England or Wales, although you must complete the notice of marriage at your local register office.
The following premises are also licensed to hold civil marriage ceremonies in the Wigan area:
- Ashfield House - 01257 473500
- The Bellingham Hotel - 01942 243893
- Haigh Hall - 01942 832895
- DW Stadium, Robin Park, (Wigan) - 01942 774000
- Kilhey Court Hotel (Standish) - 01257 472100
- Leigh Town Hall - 01942 827428
- Leigh Sports Stadium
- Park Inn Hotel Leigh
- Dam House Astley Hall Drive Astley - 01942 876417
- Leigh Cricket, Tennis and Bowling Club Beech Walk Leigh - 01942 671818
- Wigan Pier (Orwell) -01942 242456
- The Mount Orrell - 01942 211516
- The Oak Hotel Wigan - 01942 826888
- Britannia Hotel Standish - 01257 499988
- The Beeches Standish 01257 426432
- Sporting Lodge Inns (The Greyhound Hotel) Leigh - 01942 671256
- Wigan Town Hall - 01942 828096 is also available for receptions.
Religious Marriages may also take place in any registered building - they are Church of England (please take advice from your local vicar), and any church other than Church of England (please see your Minister and then arrange to give your notice to this office.
- To give notice of marriage - £35.00 (each)
- For a Marriage Certificate - £4.00 (Issued by the Registrar)
- At the Register Office (payable on the day of marriage) - £45.00
- Marriage in The Atrium Wigan Town Hall - £120.00
- Marriage in Leigh Town Hall - £60.00
- In a registered building (payable on the day of marriage) - £84.00
- Monday-Friday in approved premises - £280.00
- Saturday in approved premises - £320
- Sunday and Bank Holidays in approved premises - £360.00
Fees for marriages in approved premises are payable at least 4 weeks before the marriage.
What you will need
To be married in a Register Office/Approved Premise/Registered Building the following documents are required by law, and must be brought with you on the day you give notice:
- Birth certificate or Passport. Persons born in the UK after 1st January 1983 please telephone the Register Office on 01942 705000
- Your decree absolute if you have been divorced
- Death certificate of your partner if you have been widowed
- Change of name deed documents if you have changed your name
- If you are under 18 years of age you will need the consent of your parents or guardian
- Utility Bill, Bank Statement or Driving Licence (for both parties) - showing evidence of your current address