What is a Civil Partnership?
The Civil Partnership Act, which came into force on 5 December 2005, enables same sex couples to obtain legal recognition of their relationship. For more information on the implications of entering into a civil partnership, please write to: Civil Partnership WEU 1 Victoria Street London SW1H 0ET
How do we arrange a Civil Partnership?
You need to make an appointment to give notice at the Register Office. (Please telephone 01942 705000)
How much notice do we need to give?
By law, in order to form a civil partnership, you must give notice. You cannot give notice more than twelve months before the date of formation. The minimum notice required is fifteen clear days, after which the partnership can be formed.
Where can we give notice?
Notice must be given in the district where you live. If you live in the Wigan Borough you must give a notice to the Wigan Register Office. If either or both of you are from another district then you must each give the notice at your local Register Office.
What do we need to produce?
- The current fee of £35.00 per person
- A birth certificate or passport Persons born in the UK after 1st January 1983 please telephone the Register Office on 01942 705000
- Proof of residence in the form of a utility bill, council tax bill, bank statement or an other form of legal documentation
- If either of you have been through a form of marriage or other civil partnership previously, then you will need to provide evidence of its dissolution
- If you are a widow or widower, we need to see a certified copy of your former spouse's death certificate
- If you have changed your name by deed poll or statutory declaration, we will need to see those documents
When is a Civil Partnership formed?
A civil partnership is formed once the couple have signed the Civil Partnership Schedule in the presence of two witnesses and the Civil Partnership registrar.
Where can these ceremonies be held?
Ceremonies can be held at Wigan Town Hall or Leigh Town Hall or at any of our Approved Premises in the Wigan/Leigh area.
How long will the ceremony be?
The length of the ceremony will be dependent upon the choices you have made and any readings you have included, creating a unique occasion for you and your guests to remember, so no two ceremonies are the same.
Can we sign the Partnership Schedule without having a ceremony?
The Civil Partnership Schedule will contain a form of words that the couple must acknowledge when they sign it and which they can say to each other as part of a civil partnership formation if they wish.
We also have couple of ceremonies to meet the individual needs of the couple. Please contact us and ask for a civil partnership registrar who will be happy to offer help and advice.