The Council is responsible for the day to day running of the Registration Service, which is based at Wigan Town Hall. Registrars deal with:
- The registration of births, deaths and marriages
- The legal preliminaries to marriages
- The arranging and conducting of civil marriage ceremonies at the Register Office and at approved premises
- The issuing of certified copies of register entries held at the Register Office.
- Citizenship Ceremonies and Civil Funerals.
The head office is situated in Wigan Town Hall and there is also an outstation based at Leigh Town Hall. The Leigh office offer a limited service to register Births and Deaths on Monday, Wednesday and Friday (by appointment only) and for taking Notices of Marriage/Civil Partnerships on a Monday and Friday (by appointment only). Please telephone 01942 705000 for details.
There is pay and display car parking in the vicinity of Wigan Town Hall, the nearest car park is located at the rear of the Town Hall on Millgate (Grand Arcade). There are two pay and dsiplay car parks adjacent to Leigh Town Hall - (Town Hall/Library Car Park and Bengal Street Car Park).
Wigan Council Emergency Contact Telphone number 01942 404040 (Central Watch)