Wigan Council's Trading Standards service aims to promote fair, safe and honest trading in the borough, for the benefit of everyone. We want Wigan to be a good place to shop and relax.
Our regulatory services form part of a National network intended to ensure a fair, safe and just market place for the protection of consumers and honest businesses.
We aim to ensure that the service is run with efficiency and care. We set ourselves targets for dealing with service requests and these are monitored regularly.
To meet this aim and to support businesses in the Wigan Council area we will provide comprehensive, easily accessible and relevant advice which will enable you to meet your legal obligations and help us to:
- prevent traders from dealing in counterfeit or illegal goods, e.g. designer clothes, cigarettes, DVDs etc.
- prevent harm to children and nuisance caused by illegal sales of restricted products
- prevent people becoming victims of commercial crime in their own homes
- assist local consumers and to equip them to be more informed and confident consumers
- advise local businesses to help them to suceed fairly and legally.
- prevent unsafe goods from entering the market
- ensure quality food standards and accurate labelling for local consumers.
How to find a good business in Wigan
The Good Trader Scheme is run by trading standards in Wigan to help you find a reputable local trader you can rely on. We want to marginalise the rogue traders by promoting the good ones.