- Illegal tobacco costs the Government over £2 billion in lost taxation which funds public service
- Sellers avoid paying taxes and have no regard to the law protecting children from smoking.
- Those selling are also often found to be benefit cheats.
- It is often found being sold ‘under the counter’ in shops or from residential houses.
- Alarmingly children are known to visit ‘fag houses’ to buy cigarettes from complete strangers.
- Counterfeit tobacco is made with no regard to safety or quality and have been found to contain excessively high levels of toxic chemicals and even rat droppings
Trading Standards regularly work with partner agencies to combat this illegal trade.
If you wish to report anyone selling illegal tobacco in confidence please telephone on 01942 827476 or Crimestoppers 0800 555 111.