Counterfeit goods are illegal copies of well known branded goods produced without the permission of the company.
Lots of different types of products are counterfeited, for example: clothing and footwear, CD’s and DVD’s, watches, perfume, cigarettes and alcohol.
Selling counterfeits is not a victimless crime:
- Fakes cost jobs. They affect local shops and harm the UK economy.
- The copies are poor quality. In some cases they may even be unsafe.
- Sellers are often found to also be illegally claiming benefits.
It is a serious criminal offence which carries a prison sentence of up to 10 years.
Trading Standards regularly visit car boot sales, markets and shops. Popular auction and social websites are also monitored for illegal goods.
- To report somebody who you believe is selling counterfeit goods, please telephone in confidence on 08454 04 05 06.
- Or E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org