To provide late-night refreshments, regulated entertainment and to sell alcohol in a premises in Wigan, you need a premises licence from Wigan Council.
- any of the following may apply for a premises licence:
- anyone who uses carries on a business in the premises to which the application relates
- a recognised club
- a charity
- a health service body
- a person who is registered under the Care Standards Act 2000 in relation to an independent hospital
- a chief police officer of a force in England and Wales
- anyone discharging a statutory or function under Her Majesty's prerogative
- a person from an educational institute
- any other permitted person
Applicants must not be under 18 years of age.
The following are licensable activities:-
- the sale by retail of alcohol,
- the provision of regulated entertainment, and
- the provision of late night refreshment.
Regulated entertainment includes:-
- a performance of a play
- an exhibition of a film
- an indoor sporting event
- a boxing or wrestling entertainment
- a performance of live music
- any playing of recorded music
- a performance of dance
- entertainment of a similar description to that falling within paragraph (e), (f) or (g),
- making music
- entertainment of a similar description to that falling within paragraph (j) or (k).
A person provides 'Late night refreshment' if at any time between the hours of 11.00 p.m. and 5.00 a.m., he supplies hot food or hot drink to members of the public, or a section of the public, on or from any premises, whether for consumption on or off the premises.
Premises is defined as meaning, “any place and includes a vehicle, a vessel or moveable structure”. Such a licence will allow the licence holder to use the premises to which the licence relates ("the licensed premises") for licensable activities.
Application Forms & Guidance
Downloable Application Forms
- Application for a premises licence (.pdf, 361KB)
- Application to vary a premises licence (.pdf, 347KB)
- Application for a minor variation to a premises licence (.pdf, 49KB)
- Application to change the Premises Supervisor currently specified on the Premises Licence (.pdf, 284KB)
- Application to transfer a premises licence (.pdf, 331KB)
- Interim authority notice (.pdf, 44KB)
- Notification of an interest in premises (.pdf, 254KB)
- Consent to be designated premises supervisor (DPS) (.pdf, 18KB) (this form should accompany any new application, or any application to change the existing designated premises supervisor)
- Consent to transfer (.pdf, 17KB) (this form should accompany a transfer application)
Fees and Charges
Full details are available on our fees and charges page.
You can view the public register here. There is no charge for viewing the register and it is available to all members of the public.