We have a wide range of support facilities for Disabled Customers and Employees. Please familiarise yourself with these and do not hesitate to contact the Customer Services Section on 3609 if you have any further queries or would like to arrange one of these services.
Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Induction Loop facilities are available at all interview points in the reception area at Council Tax Offices.
- A portable loop is available upon request for use in the private interview room.
- Leigh Life Centre and the Civic Centre also have Induction Loops.
- A text phone (828725) is situated in the Customer Services Section. Staff in this section have received training on the how to operate this effectively.
- A telephone fitted with an amplifier is located in the reception area at Council Tax Offices. This is for the use of customers to access other Council departments.
- Strobe lights have been fitted in the public area and private interview room at Council Tax offices. These are linked to the fire alarm to alert deaf or hard of hearing customer to vacate the building in the event of a fire.
- We have two members of staff who can use basic sign language to provide basic sign posting and information. Please contact Customer Services on 828609.
Lip speakers for people who lip-read, note-takers, speech to text operators and interpreters can be arranged to provide support to ensure that customers receive the form of communication they require. RNID Communication Services , The Plaza, 100 Old Hall Street, Liverpool, L3 9QJ. Telephone 0845 6858000. Textphone 0845 625 80014. SMS 07781472413. Fax 0151 2362713. Email firstname.lastname@example.org will provide the support at our request. Please contact the Customer Services Section on 3609 they will make any arrangements for you.
The majority of our staff have had training on the Typetalk service. Further sessions are planned and will continue to be scheduled on an ongoing basis cover new staff. To access this service you should dial 9 for an outside line followed by the code 18002.
The majority of front line staff, managers and line managers have had deaf awareness training provided by the RNID. The section plans to provide this training to all staff and regular sessions are planned to cover staff that have not yet attended.
Blind or Visually impaired.
- We can produce correspondence in various formats as preferred by our customers. Large print, braille, colour combinations and audio tape can be made available on request and should be arranged through the Customer Services section.
- A telephone with a large buttons is situated at the reception area at Council Tax Offices. This is for the use of customers who wish to access other Council departments.
Wheel chair users
- A ramp has been fitted at Council Tax offices to ensure easy access for wheel chair users.
- An interview booth has been widened and lowered to facilitate interviews with wheel chair users.
- A public toilet has been provided at Council Tax Offices with adaptations to facilitate the needs of wheel chair users.
Please note that in addition to the support services detailed above, home visits can be arranged with the Customer Care Visiting Officer. Please pass any referrals to the Customer Services section on 3609. They will contact the Customer direct to arrange a convenient appointment.
Employees should contact their line manager if they consider they have a disability that would be assisted by the provision of equipment or communication services. Suitable support provision would be established through Access to Work.
Should you require further information regarding Equal Opportunities visit Wigan Wide Web. Here you will find the Council's Equal Opportunities Policy.