People who commit benefit fraud are costing the taxpayer millions of pounds. Local Authorities across the region are sharing information with other Authorities and Government Departments to combat benefit fraud together. There are dedicated investigators working on your behalf to make sure that people don't get away with abusing the system for their own benefit.
That is why we have a designated number for you to ring us, in absolute confidence, and give us information you have about people who might be committing benefit fraud.
Report a Fraud
Wigan Council Benefit Fraud Team 01942 828690.
Or ring Greater Manchester Fraud Hotline free at anytime 0800 3285840
Typical examples of benefit fraud are:
- People who are working but do not declare this when they claim benefit
- People who claim as single people, but actually live with a partner
- People who claim from an address but do not actually live there
- People who do not tell us the full amount of income, savings, or capital when they claim benefit
- People who, for any reason, do not have any right to claim Housing or Council Tax Benefit
- People who are sub-letting their property
- People who do not tell us about other adults living in their property.
All the information we receive is treated with total confidence and will be treated as anonymous if you do not wish for your details to be known.
We ensure that those caught committing fraud are dealt with firmly. We always ask for overpaid benefit to be repaid.
We will also consider prosecuting people in the courts - with the result that those prosecuted have a criminal record. We also administer Administrative Penalties which is the equivalent of a fine and Local Authority Cautions.
Prosecutions, penalties and cautions are known as sanctions.
In 2011/12 we Prosecuted 74, administered 32 Administrative Penalties and 67 Local Uuthority Cautions.
Please help us in our efforts to work together to fight benefit fraud.
Is there an advisor near you?