Local Housing Allowance - How much might I receive?

The size criteria

One bedroom for:

  • Every adult couple
  • Any other adult aged 16 or over
  • Any two children regardless of gender aged under 10
  • Any two children of the same gender aged up to 15
  • Any other child.

For single tenants under 35 years old there will be a "shared" rate of LHA that replaces the single room rent.  This rate will also apply to single people over 35 and couples with no other occupiers who chose to live in shared accommodation.

There are no changes to the housing benefit entitlement rules, this is still based on the person's individual circumstances. The LHA rate is only the starting point of the calculation. 

How is it worked out?

The tables below show the amount you could expect to receive if you were entitled to full benefit. There are two rates for Wigan and the amount you receive will be based on where you live.

If you live in Ashton or Billinge and your postcode begins WN4 or WN5 we may work out your claim using the weekly rate for the St Helens area. Check which area your postcode would come under by visiting the Rent Service website (external link).

New LHA effective from April 2015
AreaRoom1 Bed2 Bed3 Bed4 Bed
Wigan £57.57 £80.55 £96.23 £109.32 £149.59
St Helens £59.84 £80.55 £97.81 £113.92 £153.02

What should I do if I can no longer afford to pay my rent?

If your benefit is due to go down, it is very important that you act now to plan how you will manage these changes. We recommend you talk to your landlord as soon as possible to see whether they will reduce the rent on your property. As an incentive we can pay your Housing Benefit directly to your landlord if they agree to reduce the rent charged to an affordable level.

If it’s not possible to renegotiate your rent you could either make up the shortfall yourself or start looking for cheaper shared accommodation. You might want to talk about your situation with the Wigan and Leigh Homes Property Shop (external link) or Citizens Advice (external link).

We may also be able to help you meet the gap between your benefit entitlement and the rent you pay by awarding a discretionary housing payment.

The amount of money available for these payments is limited so we will have to consider your circumstances carefully.


Rate the information on this page

green smiley (good) orange smiley (average) red smiley (poor)

© Wigan Council